THE OLD TOWN
The old town of Nice is a genuine picturesque village in the heart of Nice. In a unique setting, discover sights of typical alleys and traditional colourful markets. Immerse yourself in the heart of the history of the city, from the Greek era to the present day, through the highlights of the Belle Epoque and Baroque age. The Old Town of Nice will also be the place where your taste buds will be titillated. Come and enjoy some culinary specialities for example ‘Socca Pissaladière’ a wonderful Provencal onion tart accompanied by Vin de Bellet - cultivated on the hills of Nice.
Whether you are looking to explore or having a romantic getaway, the Old Town contains very many treasures that will meet all your desires.
Essential places to see :
- Place Massena : characterised by its red facades and majestic arcades, this square is considered the centre of the town and the base for the celebrated Nice Carnival
- Promenade du Paillion « la coulée verte » recently redeveloped, this tree-lined walkway of 12 hectares is like the green lungs of the town with a number of water jets and mirrors, and games for children.
- L’Opéra designed by the architect François Aune who inspired the Paris Opera, the Nice Opera House regularly hosts cultural events.
- Cours SaleyaThis pedestrianised open space between the Castle hill and the Opera House is lined with restaurants and bars. It is home to Nice's fruit and vegetable market and its flower market.
- Chapelle de la miséricorde considered to be one of the most beautiful Baroque chapels of Nice with the richness of its interior, the originality of its layout and the paintings of Bistolfi. It was designed by the master architect Vittone.
- Le Château constructed in the 1th century, the Château was partially destroyed on the orders of Louis XIV en 1706. Today, its situation offers an outstanding view over the whole of the Baie des Anges.
Promenade des Anglais
Take a stroll along the most celebrated promenades of the Côte d’Azur. Renowned for its romanticism, it will delight all on holiday in Nice.
Take a stroll along its7kms length along, take in some of the pedestrianised of the town and enjoy the exotics sights and sounds of the Mediterranean!
Nice: an ideal place for holidays
Nice offers numerous ways for you to escape and relax. Admire the beautiful scenery offered by the city or relax on the beach along the Promenade des Anglais. And why not enjoy some shopping in the shops alongside the Promenade or have a drink in one of the typical cafés of the town.
If you are in Nice in February, then enjoy the Carnival which flows along the Promenade des Anglais. The weather during that time is quite mild and ideal for appreciating the famous ‘battle of flowers’ along the Promenade.
The Promenade des Anglais is also close to the main attractions of Nice such as the Orthodox Cathedral of Nice and the Museum MAMAC.
NEARBY TOURIST OPPORTUNITIES :
- Promenade des Anglais - 600 mètres
- Flower market of the Cours Saleya - 550 m
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MAMAC)
- Museum Marc Chagall
- Convention and Exhibition Centre Nice-Acropolis
- Museum of Archaeology Nice-Cimiez
- Museum Matisse
- Théatre of Nice
- Opera House of Nice